|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Episode 1|
|Seiyū||Mutsumi Tamura (Japanese)
Leah Clark (English)
Kobayashi (小林さん Kobayashi-san) is the main character of Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon. She works as a computer programmer in Jigokumeguri System Engineering Inc.
AppearanceKobayashi has red hair and hazel brown eyes. She wears glasses and regularly ties her hair up in a ponytail. She is flat-chested, a physical trait which frustrates her to the point of disapproving of the female dragons for their ample busts when in their human forms. In one of her drunken escapades, she demands that Tohru or Lucoa share some of their "blessing" with her.
Her office attire usually comprises of a white button-up shirt, a tie, and dark slacks. During her off-duty hours, she puts on either a light blue button-up shirt, a hoodie, a yellow tee or a light-brown cardigan with a white shirt underneath.
Prior to meeting Tohru, Kobayashi would don a stoic expression on her face. At present, she becomes more approachable and open to others, often seen smiling contentedly.
Though Kobayashi maintains a cool demeanor, she has been regarded as kind-hearted and reliable among her friends and colleagues. Level-headed and pragmatic, she stands as the source of reason when dealing with her draconic friends.
However, when intoxicated, Kobayashi has a tendency to become rowdy and aggressive, especially in her interests in maids, not above subjecting Tohru to her drunken whims.
Initially, Kobayashi would often chastise Tohru for her lack of propriety on human standards. However, as time passes by, she grows accustomed to Tohru's quirks and would sometimes show small signs of affection and gratitude for the dragon, such as holding Tohru's hand or going out of her way to fulfilling some of Tohru's wishes if only to ease the dragon from her troubles. When Tohru's father demands that the dragon return to their world, Kobayashi defends Tohru at the risk of her own life.
Kobayashi appears to care a great deal for Kanna, going as far as working until midnight for an entire week to push for a day off after Kanna asks her to come to her school's sports festival as her guardian. Kobayashi inadvertently takes on the role as Kanna's mother figure, as seen whenever she looks over Kanna's studies and school activities, and praises Kanna by either petting her head or spoiling her with treats and gifts.
Takiya is Kobayashi's colleague and close friend. The two would often discuss their interests in maids and butlers over drinks, either at a local bar or Kobayashi's apartment. They are close enough to ask each other for help or favors on matters outside of work.
- By coincidence or design, Kobayashi shares a name with Takeru Kobayashi, a real-world competitive eater.
- A recurring gag in the show, it would appear that she experiences chronic pain in her lower back.
- It is later revealed due to her terrible posture as she works
- She "can't do" Hijiki or eggplant, suggesting either that she dislikes them or is allergic (likely the former).
- She enjoys a brand of alchohol known as Dragonslayer, a bottle of which she shared with Tohru when they met.
- By Tohru's own comments, her being able to remove the Sword of God from the dragon suggests that she is not particularly faithful in a religious sense.
- She doesn't speak with or see her family often, but is on good terms with them.
- She can be a little mischevious, as seen when she manipulates Tohru's feelings for her to get her to clean more.
- She can be seen as a Kuudere.